- Three packets of pre-blended Reluctant Trading Pho Spice Blend formulated by Chef Nguyen Bui
- Exclusive recipes for Phở Gà (Chicken Pho) and Phở Bò (Beef Pho) by Chef Nguyen Bui
The Founder of TRTE I met Chef Nguyen Bui in 2019 when he was working as a chef at the Michelin Star-awarded Rustic Canyon restaurant in Santa Monica.
Their paths crossed again and It wasn’t long before Rustic Canyon became a customer and the chef and he became fast friends.
Recently, they both decided to team up to launch an authentic pho spice blend using The Reluctant Trading Experiment small-batch spices and Nguyen’s special recipes.
Each Pho Spice tube contains three pre-blended packets along with exclusive recipes by Chef Nguyen for Phở Gà (Chicken Pho) and Phở Bò (Beef Pho). Or feel free to use the blend with your own recipes.
Chef Nguyen’s authentic mix showcases TRTE's beautiful Star Anise, Black Cardamom, Clove, Coriander Seed, Fennel Seed, Ceylon Cinnamon, and Ginger. The spices are expertly toasted and blended. The aroma is otherworldly.
For the pho recipes, Chef Nguyen incorporated secrets he learned while growing up in the kitchen surrounded by his mom and aunts. He filtered time-honored techniques through his own culinary aesthetic.
The result? Nguyen calls his pho a “best-of family mash-up.” We call it authentic and delicious.
Chef Nguyen’s recipes are easy to follow, but you’ll want to carve out plenty of time to make a delicious pho. These are not instant soups. You’ll need to be around for a few hours to simmer the broth.
For those who aren’t familiar with pho, here’s a little primer.
- Pho is Vietnamese soup consisting of broth, noodles, spices, and meat (usually chicken or beef) Think Chicken Noodle Soup but way more complex and tasty.
- Pho is considered Vietnam’s national dish and is consumed for breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Pho is pronounced “fuh” and Nguyen pronounces his name “when”
- Pho is pho-nomenal
- There isn’t one universally agreed upon pho recipe
- Everyone thinks their pho recipe is the best - including us!